Self Employment Program
The Self-Employment Program (SE), delivered by South Fraser Community Futures, supports people to make lasting transitions from unemployment or under-employment to successful business ownership. This program guides people to business success through assessment, workshops and on-going mentorship.
To qualify for the SE program, people must be referred by their AbbotsfordWORK's Case Manager to attend the Orientation to Self-Employment workshop. To meet with a Case Manager and discuss your interest, call any one of our locations and book an Initial Needs Assessment.
The Self-Employment Program Services
Program participants receive assistance with:
- Assessing business ownership suitability
- Conducting market research for business idea viability
- Writing a comprehensive business plan
- Building business skills
- Accessing financial supports
Check below for program eligibility requirements.
Applicants may qualify for the SE Program at AbbotsfordWORKS if they:
- Are EI eligible (currently on Employment Insurance or have had an EI claim in the past three years or a parental claim in the past five years)
- Are experiencing challenges in gaining appropriate employment
- Have disabling conditions; and are unemployed or underemployed
- Live in the Abbotsford District and are legally entitled to work in Canada
- Want to start a business where they have a controlling interest
- Propose a suitable business concept (it must be legal and not exploiting sex, politics or religion)